When the only home you want to be in is your own Papworth Trust Home Solutions have the answer
If you are a home owner or a tenant* leading disability charity Papworth Trust can help with home adaptations and other building projects, odd jobs, gardening and decorating.
They have over 90 years’ experience of working with disabled people and today support over 20,000 people every year.Because they work with Essex County Council and other local councils they can offer subsidised rates to disabled people, people who are older, on a low income or vulnerable**.
Irene and Garnet Toffs from Saffron Walden in Essex were afraid that they might lose their independence.Garnet had a stroke 12 years ago and since then his wife Irene has been helping him from his wheelchair into the shower, but this often ended in a fall.
Irene says, “Sometimes I couldn’t pick him up and he was lying in the cold shower tray covered by a towel to keep him dry and warm while we waited for help.”
When Irene dislocated her shoulder trying to help Garnet, she decided it was time to seek help.She contacted Papworth Trust for free independent advice.The team suggested an accessible wet room so Garnet could shower himself safely in his wheelchair.
Irene says, “It was such a relief to think that somebody was going to come in and do all the work.The wet room is absolutely brilliant.We’re so glad we found Papworth Trust.It makes so much difference, especially when you’ve got someone who knows exactly what they are doing.”
Papworth Trust can also advise on, or help with, jobs of all sizes around the home and garden that include:
• Affordable Handyperson service that complete small jobs and repairs including fixing leaking taps, putting up curtain poles and fencing and replacing door handles and locks.
• Plumbing, electrics, roofing and heating.
• If you are coming home from hospital, they can fit key safe boxes, allowing your family and carers to use a code to access the key to your door.
• Gardening - maintenance, clearance and improvements to your garden.
Papworth Trust offer subsidised rates as well as up to 6 hours of free gardening to residents which meet the qualifying criteria.
• If you are looking to do any building work they can help with design and planning and can help you access reliable contractors who are registered with Construction Line and signed up to their quality standards.
• They give free independent advice on housing or disability related issues such as funding for repairs or adaptations, benefits advice and support around the options available for funding or moving house.
A person from Papworth Trust can even help you to fill in the forms.
To find out more or for a free home visit telephone 0300 333 6544
Registered charity number 211234.
*There are some limitations on the work they can do for tenants.
**Various criteria apply, please contact Papworth Trust to see if you qualify for subsidised rates.
Thursday 07 July 2016 is THE BIG HEALTH DAY from 10am to 3pm.
Disability Essex provided advice, support and a place to socialise for disabled people, their families and carers since 1949 but has closed due to financial difficulties.
Dust off your blue suede shoes, brylcreem your quiff and get ready to Party with Elvis on 07 May!